Friday, August 28, 2009

Sunday Afternoon [July 6th 1913]

Dear husband:--

This is a glorious day, but it would be still better if you were here dear. It has been so pleasant today, and we enjoy it after so many hot days. But it is getting much warmer this afternoon.

This morning Anna and I started out for a drive and we passed Louie Burk and he was going to his brother’s for John Selby, his nephew, two years old so we took him in and went to Selby’s for the baby, just on purpose for Mrs. S to have some more gossip. Louie wanted to drive by Young’s so that they could see the baby, so we did, and Harve came out and Louie introduced him to me and forgot that Anna didn’t know him. So, when he went in the house, I introduced her. Harve said, "Is this Miss Clara Gibson?" Of course, I had to say yes. Then he said, "I have heard of you quite often. I have heard my sister speak of you and also Dr. Lay. By the way, we heard Dr. Lay was married." I acted very much surprised and asked to whom you were married. He said, "Anyone would naturally suppose he would marry the girl he was going with the most."

I told him that you often heard of a couple being together frequently and then one suddenly marrying someone else, and he admitted that was true. I told him that I sincerely hoped you weren’t married or going to marry, as I enjoyed having you call when you were in the city. Then we said good-bye to him and left Louie in the house, but he ran to the door and yelled for me so loud that I stopped about two blocks away to avoid excitement. They he came carrying the baby. I think he takes after his grand-mother. His is so heavy and he carried him so awkward, just like an old cat with a kitten. Louie sure thinks you are just right. Sounded your praises to best the band.

How I wish you were here today. I’d give peaches and a big mellow apple to see the ideal of my dreams, and we would love each other in the same old way. Wouldn’t we honey?

I’d never tire of loving you. Could you say the same? True Love, I believe you could, and that is what makes me so happy thinking of you and the love we have for each other and the billions of kisses you told me you had stored away for me. I am longing to have you near me all the time, but I am doing the best I can to make the moments pass quickly till we meet.

Ruth Selby (ten yrs. Old) was over at Anna’s the eve of the 4th. Opal was there. Ruth said, "Wonder where that fellow is that used to be over at Clara’s so much. He was just there morning noon and night. What was his name?" Opal said Smith. Ruth didn’t think that sounded like the name that Mrs. Fleak told mama. Opal said Jones. "No that’s not it, but I don’t believe he’s here yet.1 Opal said 1yes, he’s here" and Mamma told her that she didn’t know. Aren’t they frights?

Are you rested from your trip yet, dear? I hope so, and that you are feeling fine. I wish there weren’t so many miles between you and I this afternoon, but I’ll try not to think of it. Sundays are the hardest for me to get through with. But, honey, there is a good time coming and we must think of that and forget the desolate present while we are living apart. I have written several pages, so will close.

Your loving wife,
Clara Gibson Lay

No comments: