Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Saturday [July 12, 1913]

Dear Husband:--

I received your sweet letters yesterday and today, and read them more than once. It would be impossible to get along without them, as it is almost impossible for me to get along without my darling husband.

I am hoping to have you with me for a couple of weeks before very long. I’ll be simply delighted to have you. Hope you get along well with the Kans. Dr.

Of course it was alright to confide in Pearl, as she was a friend of yours when you were a kid. I just imagine you’ll get this letter on your birthday, so accept all kinds of congratulations. To think, you are 21 now—old enough to vote. Ha! Ha!

I am feeling much better than I did earlier in the week. Think I’ll be feeling fine by tomorrow, then if you would only be here tomorrow night, wouldn’t it be great? I’d love to love you. Would you object, honey?

If you have forgotten what the message of the violet is, I’ll tell you. “I love you, I love you, and my heart’s true blue.”

I am so thankful that the fire didn’t reach your office dear, but it surely came closer than I want it to come any more. You know I have been having a presentment about you and fires, and it worried me so much, so really believe this is what was going to happen and that you would be in danger. Don’t you think that must have been the reason?

Papa likes you. In fact, I believe you are the only boy I went with that he likes, and mother like you also. Of course, Daddy is a little childish and no one must pay attention to things he says sometime. We may be worse if we live to be as old as he is. But you surely mad e a hit with him, as I think he likes your style, then your uncle said so many nice things about you, and amongst the rest that you had no bad habits and weren’t lazy. And that surely made Papa think you were the proper kind of boy for me. Of course, he would rather I had never married, but I knew I would not be happy later. And when you came into my life, I was absolutely certain I’d be happier with you and unhappy without you. So, as you thought the same (I suppose Ha! Ha!) that is how it all happened and I’m very glad that it did, as I think and hope it will prove to be better for both of us. It was so sweet of you speaking of Papa and Mamma needing our attention. It made me feel as tho’ I was not so much alone as I might have been, especially if I should live longer than they do, which, of course, no one knows, but if I did, and it wasn’t for you, I would be alone in the world. So, darling, can’t you see what you mean to me? You might say everything. But I mustn’t worship you, as we are told not to have other gods or idols; must worship but the one God, but I come as near as is possible worshiping you, honey.

This is all for the present.

Lovingly,
Clara Gibson Lay

No comments: